Chocolate & Dogs

//Chocolate & Dogs

Chocolate & Dogs

Chocolate & Dogs Are Not A Good Mix

Agee's Pet Crematorium Chocolate & DogsDuring the holidays, especially during Halloween, there are a lot of treats coming in and out of the house. Sweet tarts, suckers, gummy things start to arrive with each goblin and witch that trick or treats. Your dog will be looking at you with those sad, pleading eyes begging you for one of these treats. However, there is one sweet treat, that many humans love, but that is poisonous to dogs…Chocolate. Chocolate & Dogs do not go well together.

Why Not Chocolate?

Chocolate has a component in it called theobromine that is easily metabolized by humans, but is toxic to dogs. Dogs process theobromine much more slowly which allows it to build up to toxic levels in their systems. A large dog can consume more chocolate than a small dog before suffering ill effects. A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea. A large amount of chocolate can cause much worse effects like muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, seizures, internal bleeding, or even death. As many chocolate lover connoisseurs know, all chocolate is not the same and this is also true with the amount of theobromine that each type contains. Dark chocolate is more dangerous for our dogs than white chocolate, but both can still cause harm.

Your Dog Ate Chocolate?

Typically, if your dog has eaten chocolate, s/he will vomit it out on his own. If not, then immediately call your Vet. Many vets will first ask what kind of chocolate your dog ate and how much. Your vet may want you to make your dog vomit it up or just watch his/her behavior. Some of the warning sings include: extreme thirst, pacing, panting, shaking, diarrhea, too much energy, and seizures. These symptoms can take 6 to 12 hours to show up.  The most common way that vets will treat for dog chocolate poisoning is to use fluids and IV drugs. Some of the drugs can be used to force vomiting and other medicines are used to prevent the chocolate from getting into your dog’s blood.

No Amount Of Chocolate Is Safe

Remember: Dogs & Chocolate do not mix. According to the ASPCA, chocolate poisoning is the number 1 question that they get calls about. Keep your trick or treat candy away from your Dogs and consider making them their own special doggy safe trick or treat.

 

2017-10-23T10:44:42+00:00 October 23rd, 2017|News|