Holiday Safety Tips for Pets

//Holiday Safety Tips for Pets

Holiday Safety Tips for Pets

I do notpet-holiday-safety-tips want to scare you…. The holiday season is HERE!

Many Pet Parents include their furry family members in the holiday festivities. As you plan for the holidays from cooking to decoration, don’t forget to try to stay with your pet routine. It is important to maintain your pet’s good exercise and eating habits. Most pets are excellent taste testers but most likely some of those tasty bites are not the best for them.  There are a lot of things to consider when including your pets in the holidays, check out our holiday safety tips for pets to help you include them safely.

Be Careful with Seasonal Plants and Decorations

  • The Christmas Tree: If you thought kids were bad with the christmas tree, consider what your pets can do to them. Cats will climb in them and dogs may tinkle on them. Make sure that they are securely anchored so the tree will not tip over. Also, keep the tree water away from thirsty pets it may have bacteria in it that may cause your pet nausea or diarrhea.
  • Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: If you must have mistletoe or holly, keep them away from your pets. If they are ingested, they can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems including kidney failure.  One option is to use fake plants.
  • Tinsel & Lights:  They may seem like great toys, but tinsel and lights are not the best toys for kitties and puppies. If they eat the tinsel it can lead to obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. Try to keep the wires, batteries and ornaments out of the reach of your pets they can not only get shocked but the ornaments can cause damage if eaten.

Holiday Food is not for pets

  • Dessert: Chocolate pie and Brownies are very yummy, but are poison to pets.  Keep pets away from these desserts. Get or make special pet treats.
  • Turkey & Spice: Be careful with fatty, spicy and other human food no-no. Bones can harm your pet and fatty and spicy food may lead to digestive problems.
  • Everybody likes a Cocktail: If you enjoy a cocktail, do not leave it unattended because your pets may try to partake too.  If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.

Stay safe during the holidays and make sure you keep your pets safe too.

2016-12-06T09:39:14+00:00 November 8th, 2016|News|